Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I learn the start date of the courses?

Information related to important dates can be found on the Academic Calendar, which is on official web page of the Near East University. Please click here for the most up to date Academic Calendar.

Do the course schedules (timetables) change after the courses start?

No. In case of any unprecedented change, students who are enrolled on such courses will be informed via the Online Student Registration programme. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you regularly check your account on the system in order not to miss any announcements related to the courses for which you have registered.

How can I see the content of the courses that I wish to take?

There is a section marked with the word “DETAIL” next to each course on the list of courses offered. Once you click on this word, you can see the course outline of the that course, which belongs to that particular semester.

How many courses can I take as a ‘Guest Student’?

As a guest student you can take maximum 3 courses.

I registered as a ‘Guest Student’ and took a student number. Can I choose to be an Auditor for one course and Certificate Student for another? (For example, I want to enrol on MAT100 as an Auditor but as a Certificate Student for ELT 153, is it possible?)

Yes, it is possible. Your student status is assigned on the basis of individual courses and registration is carried out accordingly.

Is it possible to change the student status once the semester begins? (For example, can I choose to change my status from an Auditor to a Certificate Student in the middle of a semester?)

No. Unfortunately, it is not possible to change the Guest Student status once registered to a course.

As a Guest Student, can I take courses from different departments/ faculties?

Yes, you can.

If there are two instructors giving the same course, can I choose the instructor fromwhom I want to take the course during registration?

Yes, you can.

If I choose the Certificate Student category, is it possible to be exempt from the courses I complete at Near East University in another University?

Yes, it is possible as you will be given an official transcript. Please keep in mind that it may also depend on the regulations of the university you wish to register/transfer your credits.

What does it mean if a course has a ‘pre-requisite’?

Some courses have academic pre-requisites, meaning that there are certain academic knowledge which a student is expected to possess/ should have learnt previously. In most cases, such knowledge is related to the content of the course (for example, terminologies, theories etc.) which the students registered in a specific programme have been taught previously in another course. Please bear in mind that if you wish to take such courses, it will be assumed that you have such knowledge.

Once I am given a certificate due to successful completion of a course, can I use it to set up a business or to get a job?

Please keep in mind that this Open-out Course System of Near East University is not a certificate programme. Therefore, the certificates you will be given will only act as a proof that you have successfully completed the related course. The certificates cannot be used to set up a business or to get a job but if the institution for which you are working, has encouraged you to take such courses, they will definitely offer some benefits.

What are the differences between the certificate programmes offered by the Lifelong Education Centre and Open-out Courses?

The Lifelong Education Centre (LED) aims to support lifelong learning through the certification programmes it provides in different fields. The education provided by the programmes offered by LED aims to teach specified skills in a given time. Therefore, the certification programmes of LED are only for participants outside the University. However, Open-Out Courses System is not a certification programme. The courses offered through this system are prepared for the registered students of the University within the existing programmes of the related Faculties/Institutes/ Graduate Schools. Therefore, the certificates which will be given to those students who fulfil the requirements of an open-out course with success will only act as a proof that they have successfully completed the related open-out course.

I noticed that some of the course outlines are in Turkish but some are in English. What is the reason for that?

In our University, there are programmes which are administered in Turkish and in English. As for the programmes whose medium of instruction is Turkish, the course outlines are in Turkish. Similarly, for the programmes whose medium of instruction is English, the course outlines are in English. Once you click on the details of the course, you may see which language is being used for the instruction of that course.